Lehman College was established as an independent unit of The City University of New York on July 1, 1968, following a decision by the University's Board of Trustees to create a comprehensive senior college in the Bronx with its own faculty, curriculum, and administration.
The College took over the campus that, since 1931, had served as the Bronx branch of Hunter College, known as Hunter-in-the-Bronx. Adjacent to the historic Jerome Park Reservoir, the first four buildings in the plan-Gillet and Davis halls, the Music Building, and the Gymnasium-were completed in 1931 by the New York State WPA. The original campus plan called for nine buildings, but the Great Depression delayed construction, and the ambitious plan was later abandoned by Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia.
For a decade before the entry of the United States in the Second World War, only women students attended, taking their first two years of study at the Bronx campus and then transferring to Hunter’s Manhattan campus to complete their undergraduate work.
Shortly after U.S. entry into the war, the students and faculty vacated the campus and turned over the facilities to the U.S. Navy, which used them as a training station for the newly organized WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service).
To commemorate this period, the Navy later installed a ship’s bell from the U.S.S. Columbia on the campus. In 1946 the campus won a niche in world history when it was made available to the United Nations at the urging of New York City officials. From March to August 1946, the first American meetings of the Security Council were held in the Gymnasium Building where intercollegiate basketball, archery, swimming, and other sports have been played. During festivities marking the 40th anniversary of the United Nations in 1986, the Southern New York State Division of the United Nations Association presented the College with a commemorative plaque, now displayed outside the Gymnasium Building. The College participated in the United Nations’ 50th anniversary activities in 1995-96.
Normal collegiate activity resumed at the campus in 1947, but, in addition to women, the Bronx branch began accepting former servicemen, who studied in separate classes. In 1951 the campus became fully coeducational and a four-year curriculum was introduced. The process of separating the Bronx campus from Hunter College into a separate unit began in 1967. Dr. Leonard Lief, chairman of the English Department, was named provost and made responsible for overseeing the transition. On July 1, 1968, Lehman College began an independent existence, with Dr. Lief as president.
The Board of Higher Education named the new college after Herbert H. Lehman, in recognition of the commitment to public service exemplified by the four-time governor of New York State who later became a U.S. Senator and was the first director-general of UNRRA (the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration). The College was formally dedicated on March 28, 1969, the 91st anniversary of Governor Lehman’s birth. Each year, on or about March 28, the College commemorates the double anniversary by inviting a distinguished speaker to deliver the Herbert H. Lehman Memorial Lecture.
Much has occurred at the colleges of the City University since 1968. As the only CUNY senior college in the borough and southern Westchester County, Lehman College has adapted to meet changing conditions and is poised to respond to new needs and challenges.
On the undergraduate level, Lehman's General Education Curriculum is designed to provide a broad knowledge of the achievements and methods of the liberal arts and sciences and to develop student abilities to participate responsively in informed inquiry into subjects of both public and personal concern. It requires a series of courses in writing, mathematics, foreign language, and natural sciences. Students must also complete at least one course from a list of courses in seven areas: Individuals and Society; Socio-Political Structures; Literature; The Arts; Comparative Culture; Historical Studies; Knowledge, Self, and Values. In addition, students must complete two upper division interdisciplinary courses: one in Topics in the Humanities and the Sciences and one in the American Experience. To develop writing skills, students must complete four courses designated as writing-intensive. Major and minor fields of study are also required.
On the graduate level, the College has developed professional programs in nursing, teacher and counselor preparation, accounting, business, computer science, health services, public health, social work, and speech-language pathology. The College also offers strong traditional liberal arts graduate programs in art, biology, English, history, Spanish and mathematics.
For more than two decades, Lehman has deepened its involvement with the surrounding community. The opening of the Lehman Center for the Performing Arts in 1980 and the Lehman College Art Gallery in 1984 has made the College a cultural center for the region. Together with the City and the Humanities Program, the Department of Music, and the Theatre program, they present dozens of concerts, plays, dance performances, and exhibitions that are free or nominally priced.
The Art Gallery is housed in the Fine Arts Building, which was designed by the renowned architect Marcel Breuer—as was Shuster Hall, which houses the College’s administrative offices. The Concert Hall, the adjacent Lehman College Library, and the two Breuer buildings offer a striking contrast to the Tudor-Gothic architecture of the original College buildings, providing an environment of considerable architectural interest. Anchoring the campus on its northern end is the APEX, designed by the internationally acclaimed architect Rafael Viñoly. Inside are sophisticated facilities for swimming, basketball, racquetball, weight training, track and field, and dance as well as new offices for security and academic departments.
One of the latest facilities to reach completion on the Lehman campus is Science Hall, a $70 million science facility with updated, versatile classrooms, labs, and instrumentation; a rooftop teaching and research greenhouse; and environmentally sustainable technologies. The new building stands adjacent to Gillet Hall, and is accessible from the older building through a third-floor catwalk.
Another facility, the new Child Care Center, opened its doors in fall 2013. The center features six classrooms; a multipurpose room that can function as a playroom, after-school space or additional classroom; and a natural playground incorporating greenery, boulders and garden space, along with traditional playground equipment.
Lehman College also provides a variety of community services. The Institute for Literacy Studies sponsors classes to teach adults fundamentals of reading and writing, while the Speech and Hearing Center offers comprehensive evaluations of hearing and speech-language disorders.
STAMFORD, CT--(Marketwired - February 02, 2016) - Revolution Lighting Technologies (NASDAQ: RVLT), a leader in advanced LED lighting technology solutions, today announced the completion of an LED retrofit project with Lehman College, the Bronx-based senior college of the City University of New York. The work, facilitated by Revolution Lighting Technologies operating division Tri-State LED, involved the installation of Revolution Lighting Technologies T8 LED tubes to increase energy efficiency and decrease utilities costs across campus. The multi-phase program has installed LED tubes, which are 60% more efficient than fluorescent lighting, to achieve an average payback of only 2.5 years.
"Revolution Lighting allows us to stay ahead of the market in terms of technology adaptation, capitalizing on their premier customer service, industry leading knowledge, and high quality LED solutions to maximize our efficiency goals, and provide superior light quality for our students," said Rene Rotolo, the assistant vice president for Campus Planning and Facilities at Lehman College. "We look forward to continuing our efforts to become a more sustainable and energy efficient institution while providing a healthy working environment for our students."
Recently completed higher education projects, including this work at Lehman College, have expanded Revolution Lighting's continued penetration into the education sector. In addition, the company recently completed multiple LED retrofit projects for academic institutions in 2015, including $2.2 million in contracts with the Parsippany-Troy Hills School District and the New Rochelle Public School system, as well as work with Iona College and Johnson & Wales University.
"We are excited to work with Lehman College, creating more efficient and productive learning environments for their students through LED technology," said Robert V. LaPenta, CEO and Chairman of Revolution Lighting. "Lighting can account for nearly a third of annual energy expenses among higher education facilities, representing a significant savings opportunity through LED lighting's superior efficiency. Our continued work within higher education speaks directly to the knowledge and expertise of Revolution Lighting and its operating divisions to maximize economic performance, exceed environmental initiatives and enhance safety and well-being."
As cited throughout a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency report, school buildings are often able to achieve upwards of 40% energy cost savings through LED lighting installations and retrofits. In addition, the superior lamp life of Revolution Lighting's LED tubes, 70,000 hours compared to 15,000 hours for their fluorescent counterpart, results in a significant decrease in maintenance costs for schools. LED lighting does not require a warm-up period, is dimmable, and is controllable through various types of sensors and lighting control systems.